Freitag, 26. August 2016

The Lover

더 러버 (The Lover) is a South Korean drama series that aired on Mnet from April 2nd to June 25th 2015 every Thursday.

Story: The drama tells the story of four couples living in the same building in different apartments.
Oh Do-si and Ryu Doo-ri live in Apartment 609. Both in their thirties, Do-si is a voice actor and Doo-ri is a blogger. They simply chose to live together instead of getting married, and have been sharing an apartment for two years after dating for five years.
In Apartment 610 lives a couple with a huge age gap. Jung Young-joon and Choi Ji-nyeo are twelve years apart in age. Ji-nyeo has the personality of a penny-pinching ajumma and basically supports her younger boyfriend in the hope that he will someday realize his dream, while Young-joon is an unemployed musician who carries around a guitar he doesn't know how to play. They've been living together for a year, and are quick to fight and make up.
Ha Seol-eun and Park Hwan-jong live in Apartment 510. They are in their twenties and have just moved in together. Seol-eun wants her boyfriend to believe that she's the perfect embodiment of femininity, and works tirelessly to keep up the illusion.
Lee Joon-jae lives alone in apartment 709. Though he is a loner and prefers to stay on his own he has to find a roommate for financial reasons. Takuya moves in with him and convinces Joon-jae to come out of his apartment from time to time.

Cast: The first couple, Oh Do-si and Ryu Doo-ri, is played by Oh Jung-se and Ryu Hyun-kyung. At this point I openly admit that I can't say much about their acting. What I've seen was supposed to be funny but just seemed too ridiculous and weird. The actors are not to blame for that but honestly - this couple was just the most boring one to me so I just skipped almost all of their parts during the last episodes. Even decent acting wasn't able to save it though they did have some quite funny scenes.
Choi Ji-nyeo and Jung Young-joon were played by Choi Yeo-jin and Jung Joon-young. As I've been a huge fan of JJY's solo albums, I just feel like I had to watch this drama, and it was also my second time watching a drama starring Choi Yeo-jin and she's a quite good actress. The chemistry could have been better from time to time but in general I liked the way they portrayed the characters.
Park Jong-hwan and Ha Eun-seol acted in this drama as Park Hwan-jong and Ha Seol-eun (does anyone else realize that they were pretty creative when it comes to character names?) The idea and the acting of this couple overall was alright. I wouldn't say they were outstanding but they weren't as bad as the first couple either. I started to skip some of their scenes though because their story wasn't that interesting to me so it is possible I missed out some either incredibly good or very bad scenes.
Lastly, Lee Joon-jae and Takuya were played by Lee Jae-joon and Takuya Terada (of Cross Gene). I loved them with all of my heart and found their acting to be pretty good. The way both of these actors portrayed the character was pleasant to watch and seemed okay - despite for one thing once again the writers are to blame for. Joon-jae just accepts what is new too fast. Now, as far as I remember we don't know if he ever came to like another guy before, but most people would question themselves a lot more than he does.

Soundtrack: Did anyone count how many songs were played in this drama? All I can tell you is that there was literally nothing too memorable about all of those songs. Most of them were older I think and just randomly taken but still had to fit the situation. In general this worked out. But I really wondered if the songs were chosen to fit the dialogues - or if the dialogues were written following the songs.


After all? 5/10 is the best rating I can give because I skipped huge part of this drama. I kept watching for Takuya and Joon-jae as well as Ji-nyeo and Young-joon. The other two couples couldn't capture my interest at all. Of course a drama of 12 episodes with a duration of 45 minutes or something isn't a huge waste of time but well.. I just didn't like it and if I'm going to ever watch this again, I'll probably watch some cut versions on Youtube.
If you want to watch this drama, be warned though. It's nothing like other K-Dramas that are loved because of their "innocent nature" or something.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen